Current Affairs on Tuesday 5th September 2017
- President Ramnath Kovind laid foundation stone for link-4 of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Scheme (SAUNI) Yojana at Rajkot in Gujarat. Three phase of SAUNI yojana, link-1, link-2 and link-3 already have been dedicated to people. Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Scheme Yojana is a multipurpose project that targets to resolve water problems of dried Saurashtra region of Gujarat. SAUNI project was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his stint as CM of Gujarat. It is an out-and-out irrigation and drinking water project designed solely for Saurashtra peninsula. The main aim of this project is to fill up 115 major dams in Saurashtra by diverting overflow of water from Sardar Sarovar Dam which is on Narmada River. Its unique feature involves making pipe canals instead of conventional open canals. Pipe line network will be 1,125-km log. Pipe Line network has led no acquisition of land as well as less loss of water.
- GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd (GHIAL) has awarded with the National Award for ‘Excellence’ in Energy Management. It has been awarded in a conference hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). Main focus of the conference was to recognize the companies who are engaged in energy efficiency initiatives and showing their commitment towards energy conservation. GHIAL is a joint venture company comprising the GMR Group (63%), Government of India (13%), Government of Telangana (13%) and Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (11%).
- At the 13th IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2016-17, Karnataka Bank has awarded with the ‘best bank’ award among all small banks for the use of technology for financial inclusion. Sudarshan Sen, Executive Director of RBI, in Hyderabad represented the award to Mahabaleshwara MS, MD & CEO of the bank. Karnataka Bank has its headquarters in Mangaluru.
- The 9th BRICS Summit has started in Xiamen city of China. Five BRICS nations (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) are participating in this summit. The theme of the 9th BRICS Summit is “Stronger Partnership for a better future”. 8th BRICS summit was held at Goa in India.
- On Monday at the 9th BRICS Summit, Chinese President Xi Jinping announced that China will fund 500 million yuan or $76.4 million for a BRICS economic and technology cooperation plan. He also announced an aid of $4 million for projects of the BRICS countries’ New Development Bank. The announcement came amid questions over the relevance of BRICS and China’s commitment to its New Development Bank (NDB) in light of the Belt and Road initiative and the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
- Karnataka state government will launch a health scheme ‘Arogya Bhagya’. It is a unified health scheme. It is merger of the existing seven health schemes. The theme of the ‘Arogya Bhagya’ scheme is “Treatment First and Payment Next”. State Cabinet and The Law Ministry had already given administrative sanction for the unified health scheme. it will come to effect from 1st November. It will cover all 1.4 crore households of the state. Present CM of Karnataka is Siddaramaiah.
- Pulitzer-prize winning American poet John Ashbery has passed away at age of 90 in Hudson, New York. He won Pulitzer Prize, National Book Award and National Book Critics Circle Award for his one and only 1975 collection “Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror”. He became the single writer to earn three major awards for the same work in same year. John Ashbery has bagged with the National Humanities Medal by then-president Barack Obama in 2012.
- Fincare Small Finance Bank has started its banking operations with 25 operational branches across Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat. Earlier Fincare Small Finance Bank was known as Disha Microfin Limited. In May 2017, Reserve Bank of India has issued license of small finance bank (SFB) to the company. It has headquartered in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Rajeev Yadav is the CEO of Fincare Small Finance Bank.
- Star India has got Indian Premier League’s (IPL) media rights for five year period 2018-2022. In the final bid Star India edged out Sony Pictures with a bid of Rs 16,347.50 crore. Now Star India has various media rights of IPL from 2018-2022. It allows Star India to air content on their properties for a period of five years (2018-2022). Sony made a bid of Rs. 11,050 crores for the rights that was second highest. Sony’s bid was for the Indian region only whereas Star India’s bid was for global reach.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has signed four new Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs). These APAs are in sectors like banking, telecom, manufacturing and education. Now CBDT has entered into a total of 175 APAs, out of which 162 unilateral APAs and 13 bilateral APAs. Out of recent four APAs, one was bilateral and three were unilateral. The bilateral APA was for international transactions between an Indian company and UK-based company. The APA provisions were introduced in Income Tax Act in 2012 and rollback provision was introduced in 2014. The Objective of APA scheme of CBDT is to provide certainty to taxpayers in domain of transfer pricing by specifying methods of pricing and setting prices of international transactions in advance. The APA scheme’s objective is to strengthen government`s resolve of fostering non-adversarial tax regime.
- CIPAM-DIPP has launched social media campaign to promote Indian Geographical Indications (GIs). The Cell for IPR Promotions & Management (CIPAM) is working under Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP). It has been launched under CIPAM’s ongoing campaign #LetsTalkIP to make more people aware about importance of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs). The promotion of GIs is in line with Government’s ambitious ‘Make in India’ campaign. Geographical Indication (GI) is a type of sign or insignia that are used on products that have specific geographical origin. These products have qualities and reputation that are only due to its Geographical origin. Such name, insignia and sign gives assurance of quality and uniqueness. Quality and uniqueness is essentially attributable to its origin in that defined geographical locality. The status to products marks its authenticity and ensures that only registered authorised users are allowed to use popular product name. Darjeeling Tea, Blue Pottery of Jaipur, Mahabaleshwar Strawberry, Banarasi Sarees and Tirupati Laddus are some of examples for products having GIs.
- Former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first wicket-keeper to effect 100 stumpings in One Day Internationals (ODIs). Dhoni achieved the feat in his 301st ODI which was played against Sri Lanka in Colombo. He surpassed Former Sri Lankan Skipper Kumar Sangakkara who has 99 Stumpings on his name. Dhoni has also taken 281 catches and have 9,657 runs so far. Dhoni has taken 256 catches and effected 38 stumpings in 90 TEST Matches. In T20 Internationals Dhoni has taken 43 catches and affected 23 stumpings.
- India became first visiting country to inflict 5-0 clean sweep on Sri Lanka in One Day International cricket series. India won all the 5 matches against Sri Lanka. Before the ODI series Virat Kohli team had also whitewashed the 3-match Test series. In last fifth and last ODI Virat Kohli made his 30th ODI century in his 194th match. He jointly holds second highest record in number of centuries Australia’s Ricky Ponting. Only Sachin Tendulkar with 49 centauries is ahead of him. Jasprit Bumrah has awarded with the Match of the Series for ODIs.
- Nepal has signed a UN assistance package worth of $635 million for 2018-2022 to lay out the country’s development strategy for the next five years. The National Planning Commission, apex advisory body of the Government of Nepal and the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) has signed the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF). Sher Bahadur Deuba is current PM of Nepal. Antonio Guterres is the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- 2017 Union Ministerial Reshuffle- In recent reshuffle, nine new members were inducted into Council of Ministers of NDA Government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. And four senior ministers were elevated to the cabinet rank. The aim of reshuffle was to reinforce passion, professional, proficiency and political acumen in Government.
- Four Cabinet Ministers are
1. Nirmala Sitharaman: Defence Ministry.
2. Piyush Goyal: Railway Ministry.
3. Dharmendra Pradhan: Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Ministry.
4. Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi: Minority Affairs Ministry.
- Nine New Ministers are
1. Shiv Pratap Shukla: MoS Finance Ministry.
2. Hardeep Singh Puri: Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
3. Anantkumar Hegde: MoS in Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
4. Satya Pal Singh: MoS Human Resource Development and MoS Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
5. Raj Kumar Singh: MoS (Independent Charge) of Ministry of Power; and MoS (Independent Charge) of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
6. Alphons Kannanthanam: MoS (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Tourism; and MoS in Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
7. Virendra Kumar: MoS in Ministry of Women and Child Development; and MoS in Ministry of Minority Affairs
- Four Cabinet Ministers are
- Breakthrough Listen project has detected 15 fast radio bursts (FRBs) coming from a dwarf galaxy. This dwarf galaxy is 3 million light years away from the earth. Green Bank Telescope (GBT) in West Virginia has helped in this detection. It was emitted from FRB 121102. FRB 121102 is an esoteric source which is connected to the galaxy in the distant universe. This detection brings the total of known FRBs from this strange object to more than 150. The first known radio burst from FRB 121102 was detected on November 2, 2012. Fast radio bursts (FRB) is brief, bright pulse of radio emission from distant galaxies. . It is a high-energy astrophysical phenomenon of unknown origin expressed as transient radio pulse. This radio pulse lasts only for a few milliseconds. FRB was first detected in 2007 with help of Parkes Telescope in Australia. Breakthrough Listen Project (BLP) is global astronomical initiative launched in 2015 by Yuri Milner, an Internet investor and cosmologist Stephen Hawking. It has teams from all over the world to find signs of intelligent life in universe.
- International team of astronomers said planet equal to size of earth, that is hang about and orbiting ultracool TRAPPIST-1 dwarf star, may have substantial amounts of water. And it could be perfect habitat for humans. Astronomers used Hubble Space Telescope in their research. This is a joint Of NASA and European Space Agency (ESA) and NASA to estimate whether there is water on TRAPPIST-1 planetary system. Astronomers had examined the amount of ultraviolet radiation (UV) received by individual planets of system to detect presence of water. UV radiation is important factor in atmospheric evolution of planets as it can break water vapour in atmospheres of planets into hydrogen and oxygen in process called photodissociation. Astronomers in February 2017 discovered a set of seven earth sized planets orbiting ultracool dwarf star TRAPPIST-1. The TRAPPIST-1 planetary system is 40 light-years away from Earth.